Long story short: The best baseboard heaters range from electric to hydronic, but our pick for the top one overall is the COSTWAY Baseboard Heater with Thermostat.
In the world of home heating, baseboard heaters have been a reliable choice for decades. Whether you’re looking to add supplemental heat to a chilly room or heat your entire home, baseboard heaters offer a cost-effective and efficient solution.
But not all of them are created equal, and even the 10 best baseboard heaters we’ve seen reviewed have a few duds in there—which is why we’re setting the record straight with our expert guide.
Ready to heat things up? Let’s go.
An overview of the best baseboard heaters 2023:
Let’s take a closer look at the best baseboard heaters
Now let’s take a magnifying glass to each of the baseboard heaters on our list.
1. COSTWAY Baseboard Heater with Thermostat – Best baseboard heater overall
The COSTWAY Baseboard Heater is an electric convection baseboard heater that operates on 120 volts. It measures 30 inches in length and is designed to heat spaces up to 150 square feet. This hard-wired baseboard heater also comes equipped with an adjustable thermostat for precise temperature control.
The COSTWAY Baseboard Heater is a top contender for the title of the best baseboard heater of 2023 due to its impressive features and performance. Here’s what sets it apart:
This convection baseboard heater uses natural air circulation to warm your room quickly and evenly, making it suitable for large spaces. The built-in thermostat allows you to customize the temperature according to your comfort level, ensuring energy-efficient heating.
It’s one of the best baseboard heaters on the market according to our analysis because it also includes overheat protection and a tip-over switch for enhanced safety, giving you peace of mind while using it. And if that weren’t enough, this unit operates silently, making it ideal for bedrooms or quiet spaces—unlike some baseboard heaters.
- Efficient convection heating.
- Adjustable thermostat for precise control.
- Safety features for worry-free operation.
- Quiet operation doesn’t disrupt your peace.
- Hard-wired installation may require professional assistance.
- Limited to electric heating, may not be suitable for those seeking hydronic options.
Who is this baseboard heater best for?
The COSTWAY Baseboard Heater with Thermostat is an excellent choice for individuals looking for a baseboard heater to efficiently heat spaces up to 150 square feet. Its adjustable thermostat and safety features make it versatile and safe for various room types, making it the best baseboard heater overall.
2. Cadet F Series 48″ Electric Baseboard Heater – Best electric baseboard heater
The Cadet F Series 48″ Electric Baseboard Heater is a hard-wired, electric baseboard heater designed for efficient heating. It operates at 240 volts and is 48 inches in length, capable of heating larger rooms effectively.
Cadet is a trusted name in baseboard heating systems, and the F Series lives up to its reputation. This electric baseboard heater delivers consistent and efficient warmth to your space without the need for a hydronic system.
With its 48-inch length, it’s designed for larger rooms and can effectively heat rooms that other baseboard heaters may struggle to reach. Plus, the Cadet electric baseboard heater is built to last, with a sturdy construction that ensures longevity.
- Efficient electric heating without the complexities of hydronic systems.
- Suitable for larger rooms due to its 48-inch length.
- Durable build for long-lasting performance.
- Requires hard-wired installation, which may need professional assistance.
- Lacks some of the advanced features found in more modern baseboard heaters.
Who is this baseboard heater best for?
The Cadet F Series 48″ Electric Baseboard Heater is an ideal choice for those seeking a reliable and efficient electric baseboard heater for larger spaces.
A baseboard heater from Cadet is perfect for homeowners looking for a straightforward and durable heating solution without the complexities of hydronic systems, making it the best electric baseboard heater.
3. Fahrenheat PLF Liquid Filled Electric Hydronic Baseboard Heater, 46 inches, Navajo White – Best hydronic baseboard heater
The Fahrenheat PLF1004 Hydronic Baseboard Heater uses liquid-filled heating elements for efficient warmth. It measures 46 inches in length, making it suitable for medium to large rooms.
Fahrenheat is renowned for its hydronic heating solutions, and the PLF is no exception. It’s one of the top hydronic baseboard heaters because of its hydronic efficiency. The liquid-filled heating element provides consistent, comfortable, and energy-efficient heating, making it superior to traditional electric heaters.
The Fahrenheat baseboard heater also has more even heat distribution. Unlike some baseboard heaters that may create hot and cold spots, the hydronic system ensures even warmth throughout the room.
Last but not least, it’s durable. The Fahrenheat PLF is built to withstand long-term use, and its Navajo White finish adds an elegant touch to your decor.
- Energy-efficient hydronic heating.
- Even heat distribution for maximum comfort.
- Durable construction for longevity.
- Suitable for medium to large rooms.
- Requires a hydronic system, which may be more complex to install than electric heaters.
- Slightly higher upfront cost compared to electric baseboard heaters.
Who is this baseboard heater best for?
The Fahrenheat PLF Liquid Filled Electric Hydronic Baseboard Heater is an ideal choice for individuals looking for the comfort and efficiency of hydronic to heat a large room.
While it may be more complex to install a baseboard heater, its performance and durability make it worth it and our pick for the finest hydronic baseboard heater.
4. KING KPH1210 3-Foot Portable Baseboard Heater, 1000W / 120V, White – Best portable baseboard heater
The KING KPH1210 is a portable electric baseboard heater designed for convenience and flexibility. It operates at 120 volts, offering 1000W of heating power, and measures 3 feet in length.
Portability and versatility are the highlights of the KING KPH1210. The design of this baseboard heater is specifically for moving to different rooms as needed, providing heat where it’s required the most.
This baseboard heater features two heat settings, allowing you to adjust the warmth according to your preferences and energy-saving needs. Plus, the plug-and-play design means you can set it up without the hassle of hard-wired installation.
- Portable and easy to move between rooms.
- Two heat settings for customization.
- Simple plug-and-play installation.
- Suitable for smaller to medium-sized spaces.
- May not have the heating capacity for very large rooms.
- Lack of advanced features compared to some fixed baseboard heaters.
Who is this baseboard heater best for?
The KING KPH1210 3-Foot Baseboard Heater is ideal for those who need flexibility in heating different rooms or spaces. Its portability and adjustable settings make it great for smaller to medium-sized areas, earning it the title of best portable baseboard heater.
5. Marley HBB754 Baseboard HEATERS, Navajo White – Most efficient
The Marley HBB754 Baseboard Heater is an electric convection baseboard heater with a focus on efficiency and that is why we love it. It measures 74 inches in length, suitable for larger rooms.
It’s the most efficient baseboard heater because it utilizes convection heating to quickly and evenly warm your space while consuming minimal energy.
And with its 74-inch length, the Marley is a large baseboard heater that warms spacious rooms effectively.
The Marley baseboard heaters have built-in thermostats, too. The integrated thermostat allows for precise temperature control, ensuring efficient heating.
- Highly efficient convection heating.
- Suitable for larger rooms due to its 74-inch length.
- Built-in thermostat for precise control.
- Requires hard-wired installation.
- Limited color options compared to some other baseboard heaters.
Who is this baseboard heater best for?
The Marley HBB754 Baseboard Heater is an ideal choice for those seeking maximum efficiency in heating larger rooms. Its integrated thermostat makes this baseboard heater our top pick for energy-conscious homeowners.
6. Heat Wave 1,000 Watt Convector Baseboard Heater, Black – Best looking baseboard heater
Since baseboard heaters are visible in your home, you may care about how they look more than other appliances. The Heat Wave Convector Baseboard Heater is an electric baseboard heater with a focus on aesthetics. It’s one of those 120-volt baseboard heaters that provides 1000W of heating power.
But let’s be honest: If you do the research, it seems like many baseboard heaters are more efficient the uglier they are!
Not this one.
If you’re looking for a baseboard heater that combines performance with style, the Heat Wave Convector Baseboard Heater is an excellent choice. Its black finish and modern design make it a stylish addition to any room, blending seamlessly with your decor.
But let’s talk about performance. Pretty baseboard heaters usually lack a bit in the power section. Again, not Heat Wave. This baseboard heater efficiently warms your space while adding an aesthetic touch.
It’s also easy to install, requiring minimal effort to get it up and running.
- Stylish and modern design.
- Efficient heating performance.
- Easy installation for added convenience.
- Limited color options for those with specific decor preferences.
- May not have advanced features found in some other models.
Who is this baseboard heater best for?
The Heat Wave 1,000 Watt Convector Baseboard Heater is perfect for individuals who prioritize both heating efficiency and aesthetics. This electric baseboard heater produces heating efficiently but also boasts a sleek design, making it the best-looking baseboard heater for those who want to enhance their room’s decor.
7. Cadet F Series 72″ Electric Baseboard Heater – Best value baseboard heater
The Cadet F Series 72″ Electric Baseboard Heater is an electric baseboard heater known for its value.
It operates at 208 volts and has a length of 72 inches, making it suitable for larger spaces for those seeking an affordable yet effective heating solution.
Corded electric with a heat output of 5120 BTUs, it’s a reliable unit that gets the job done. And a Cadet baseboard heater is basically synonymous with durability, so you can count on this heater for years to come.
- Affordable price point.
- Suitable for larger rooms due to its 72-inch length.
- Reliable and durable performance.
- Requires hard-wired installation and thermostat.
- May not have advanced features present in higher-end models.
Who is this baseboard heater best for?
The Cadet F Series 72″ Electric Baseboard Heater is an excellent choice for budget-conscious individuals looking for a reliable and efficient heating solution for larger rooms. Its affordable pricing and large coverage area make it the best value baseboard heater.
Baseboard heater buying guide: Everything you need for choosing a baseboard heater
In this comprehensive buying guide, we’ll explore everything you need to know to choose the best baseboard heater for your needs. From electric baseboard heaters to hydronic options, we’ll cover the key factors that make a baseboard heater the right choice for your home.
Electric baseboard heater vs the best hydronic baseboard heater
Are you torn between choosing an electric baseboard heater or a hydronic one? Ultimately knowing the type of baseboard heater you’d prefer makes the whole process of buying a baseboard heater easier.
When it comes to baseboard heaters, there are two main types to consider:
- Electric baseboard heaters
- Hydronic baseboard heaters
Each has its own set of advantages and considerations, so let’s take a closer look at what sets them apart.
Electric Baseboard Heater
Electric baseboard heaters heat simply and are simpler to install. They rely on electric heating elements to generate warmth, making them a convenient option for adding supplemental heat to a room. Here are some key features of electric baseboard heaters:
- Ease of Installation: Electric baseboard heaters are typically straightforward to install, making them a DIY-friendly option.
- Individual Room Control: Since they operate independently, an electric baseboard heater offers precise control over the temperature in each room.
- No Plumbing Required: Unlike hydronic baseboard heaters, electric models don’t require a water supply or plumbing connections.
- Energy Efficient: Electric baseboard heaters do not lose any heat through venting, unlike forced air systems. This makes them very efficient in providing direct heat.
- Low Maintenance: These heaters require very little maintenance as they have fewer mechanical parts that can break down.
- Quieter than Fans!
- Safety: Electric baseboard heaters are safer than most heat sources. They don’t use fuel, so there’s no risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. They also have built-in safety features like overheat protection and tip-over switches.
- Affordability: Electric baseboard heaters are usually less expensive to buy than other types of heaters.
- Versatility: These heaters can be used in almost any type of room or living situation, from small apartments to larger homes.
- Long Lifespan: Due to their simplicity and lack of complex moving parts, electric baseboard heaters typically have a long lifespan.
- Consistent Heating: Electric baseboard heaters provide consistent heat, unlike some other types of heating which can cause temperature fluctuations.
- On-Demand Heat: With a thermostat, you can control the heat output easily, allowing on-demand heat whenever needed.
- Clean Heat: As these heaters don’t burn fuel, they don’t produce any emissions or odors. This means that the heat they produce is clean and all the electric energy they consume is converted into heat.
Please note that while electric baseboard heaters have many advantages, they are best used as supplemental heat sources and may not be sufficient as the primary heat source in areas with extremely cold winters.
Hydronic Baseboard Heater
Running a baseboard heater that’s hydronic is a tad more work, but it pays dividends in energy savings.
Hydronic baseboard heaters use a liquid (usually water or a water-antifreeze mixture) to transfer heat throughout your home.
They offer some unique benefits that make them an attractive choice for certain situations:
- Energy Efficiency: Hydronic baseboard heaters are known for their energy efficiency, as water retains heat well and circulates it effectively.
- Quiet Operation: They operate silently, without the popping or cracking sounds that an electric baseboard heater makes.
- Consistent Heat: Hydronic heaters provide a more consistent and comfortable heat, as they distribute warmth evenly throughout the room.
- Safety: Unlike traditional heaters, hydronic baseboard heaters are touch-safe, as their surfaces don’t get extremely hot.
- Air Quality: As hydronic heaters don’t rely on forced air systems, they don’t move dust or allergens around the room, thereby improving indoor air quality.
- Ease of Control: Many hydronic baseboard heaters come with individual thermostats for each room, offering more precise temperature control.
- Home Value: Installing hydronic baseboard heating can improve the value of your home, as they are a superior heating option.
- Low Maintenance: Hydronic heaters require very little maintenance. As long as the system is properly installed, the only regular maintenance required is bleeding the system once every few years to remove air bubbles from the pipes.
Of course, no heating system is without its drawbacks. Hydronic baseboard heaters do require a bit more upfront cost than electric baseboard heaters.
They also require a boiler to heat the water, which can limit their applicability in some homes.
However, for potential long-term energy savings and improved comfort, a hydronic baseboard heater is an excellent choice.
What makes the best electric and hydronic baseboard heaters?
Before delving into the specifics of choosing a baseboard heater, it’s essential to understand what makes a baseboard heater the “best” for your needs. Here are some key factors to consider:
Significance of baseboard heaters
Baseboard heaters are an integral part of many homes’ heating systems. They offer supplemental heat in areas where central heating may not be sufficient or cost-effective.
Here are some more reasons why baseboard heaters are significant:
- Zoned Heating: Baseboard heaters allow for zoned heating, where you can control the temperature of individual rooms. This can lead to energy savings by only heating spaces that are in use.
- Cost-Effective: They are often a cost-effective heating solution, especially for rooms with minimal heat loss.
- Easy Installation: Baseboard heaters are relatively easy to install, making them an accessible option for homeowners.
What to look for in the best baseboard heaters
Now that we understand the significance of baseboard heaters let’s explore the essential factors to consider when choosing the best one for your home.
A thermostat is a critical component of any baseboard heater. Look for models that come with a built-in thermostat or can be easily integrated with a compatible thermostat system. Having precise control over the temperature will help you maintain a comfortable environment while conserving energy.
The right wattage
Choosing the right wattage for your baseboard heater is crucial to ensure it can adequately heat the space. As a general rule of thumb, you’ll need about 10 watts of heating power per square foot of the area you intend to heat. For example, a 150-square-foot room would require a baseboard heater with a minimum of 1,500 watts.
The length of the heater
Baseboard heaters come in various lengths, and the length of the heater determines its heat output. Longer heaters typically provide more heat, so consider the size of the room when selecting the appropriate length.
Installation and maintenance
Consider how easy the installation process is and whether you can handle it yourself or if you’ll need professional assistance. Additionally, look for baseboard heaters that are easy to clean and maintain to ensure long-lasting performance.
Why Cadet’s K Series baseboard heaters are so popular
One of the reputable brands known for manufacturing high-quality baseboard heaters is Cadet, and their K Series baseboard heaters have garnered attention for their performance and efficiency.
Cadet’s K Series has several features that make them stand out in the market. Here are some reasons why you should consider them:
- Energy Efficiency: A Cadet baseboard heater is designed to be energy-efficient, helping you save on heating costs.
- Quiet Operation: These heaters operate quietly, ensuring minimal disruption in your living space.
- Multiple Sizes: Cadet offers a range of sizes to suit different room dimensions, allowing you to choose the right one for your needs.
If you decide to go with Cadet, the installation process is relatively straightforward. However, it’s essential to follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully and, if needed, consult a professional to ensure a safe and effective installation.
Wrapping up the best baseboard heaters
Getting a baseboard heater is a smart choice for your wallet and the environment. It’s simply a versatile and cost-effective solution for heating your home.
As far as our top pick on this list of the best baseboard heaters, you already know it’s the COSTWAY Baseboard Heater with a Thermostat.
But whether you opt for electric baseboard heaters for their simplicity or hydronic baseboard heaters for their energy efficiency, it’s essential to consider factors such as thermostat control, wattage, heater length, installation ease, and maintenance requirements.
Cadet’s baseboard heaters, known for their energy efficiency and quiet operation, are a noteworthy option to explore. When selecting the best baseboard heater for your needs, be sure to assess the specific requirements of your space and consult with a heating professional if necessary.
Investing in the right baseboard heater can enhance your comfort, reduce heating costs, and provide reliable warmth during the colder months. With the right choice, you’ll have a heating solution that keeps you cozy and comfortable for years to come.
FAQs on best baseboard heaters
To provide you with even more clarity on baseboard heaters, let’s address some common questions regarding their efficiency, placement, sizing, and energy efficiency.
How efficient are the baseboard heaters?
The efficiency of baseboard heaters in can vary depending on the model and technology used. Newer models often come with energy-saving features such as programmable thermostats and improved insulation. To ensure the highest efficiency, look for Energy Star-certified baseboard heaters, which meet rigorous energy efficiency standards.
Can I place furniture near a baseboard heater?
It’s generally recommended to maintain some clearance around baseboard heaters to ensure safe and efficient operation. Furniture placed too close to a baseboard heater can block heat distribution and create a fire hazard. A minimum clearance of at least 12 inches is often advised.
How to size a baseboard heater?
To size a baseboard heater correctly, calculate the heating load of the room by considering factors like room size, insulation, outdoor temperature, and desired indoor temperature. As mentioned earlier, a common rule of thumb is to use about 10 watts per square foot of space. However, it’s best to consult a heating professional for a precise sizing calculation.
Are new baseboard heaters more energy efficient?
Newer baseboard heaters often incorporate advanced technologies and improved insulation, making them more energy-efficient than older models.
Additionally, many newer models come with energy-saving features like programmable thermostats and digital controls. When upgrading or replacing baseboard heaters, it’s advisable to choose the latest energy-efficient options for better performance and lower operating costs.
What makes a baseboard heater a great option for heating a space?
Unlike a space heater, a baseboard heater is also a fantastic option due to their efficiency. They are especially effective in smaller rooms, or in rooms that don’t have much ceiling height. Baseboard heaters don’t take up as much space as traditional heaters. Some new electric baseboard heater units are more compact, user-friendly, and aesthetically pleasing than their counterparts.
Are baseboard heaters safe to use at home?
Yes, baseboard heaters are safe to use at home. They usually have a safety cut-off switch to prevent overheating. However, like with any heater, precautions must be taken to ensure safety. For instance, nothing flammable should be placed near the heater.
How does a baseboard heater work?
A baseboard heater warms the air in your home by convection. They heat the air around them, and this hot air then rises, displacing the cool air which then gets drawn into the heater. For a baseboard heater to work properly, this process must create a cycle of warm air throughout the room.
If I’m looking for a new electric baseboard heater, what should I consider?
When buying a new electric baseboard heater, you should consider factors such as the size of your room, the heater’s capacity, energy efficiency, safety features, design, noise level, and the heater’s cost.
Do baseboard heaters require a lot of maintenance?
No, baseboard heaters require minimal maintenance. They don’t have any moving parts, so there’s less chance of them breaking down. Regular cleaning to remove dust will help maintain its efficiency.
What are the benefits of using an electric baseboard heater?
Benefits of using an electric baseboard heater include efficiency as they convert nearly all incoming electricity into heat; ease of installation since they don’t require ductwork; individual zone heating; quieter operations because they don’t have a fan; and a low maintenance need.
Why are some baseboard heaters more compact than others?
Some baseboard heaters are compact by design to fit into small spaces. These are often suitable for studio apartments, small offices, or any other locations with limited space.
Is a baseboard heater also a good option for large spaces?
Yes, a baseboard heater is also effective in large spaces. You can use single baseboard heaters with higher BTU capacity or multiple units strategically installed throughout the space to provide effective heating.
Can baseboard heaters be used as the primary heat source?
Yes, baseboard heaters can be used as the primary heat source in a home. However, this will be most effective if the home is well-insulated to prevent heat loss.